Lord's Taverners

Showing 12 of 12 results

​​​​​​​
 

In 1950 a group of like-minded cricket enthusiasts gathered in the famous Tavern at Lord’s Cricket Ground. They realised how lucky they were to be enjoying their sport and socialising with friends, and so the conversation turned to a shared desire to help those less fortunate than themselves. With that, the idea of creating a club to help young people took hold.

What happened next?

By September 1950 the club had more than 70 members, including the broadcaster John Snagge and cricketer Jack Hobbs. Esteemed actor, John Mills, took on the role of President and HRH The Duke of Edinburgh was delighted to become the Patron and Twelfth Man (a position he holds to this day). The club began to raise money and the first charitable contributions to the National Playing Fields Association were made.

he creation of the Lord’s Taverners cricket team soon followed and in 1952 the first fixture took place against Hertfordshire’s Bishops Stortford Cricket Club. The ‘Taverners XI’, a quirky mix of former Test cricketers, county stalwarts and entertainers remains an enthusiastic team today, with several matches taking place across the UK and abroad each year.